Greetings and Welcome! Cake shopping made easy.
It’s the most favorited time of the year for photographers, DJ’s, Bakeries, Planners, Venues, and most importantly, the Bride. In this article we’re providing the best information and guide to designing and ordering your wedding cake.
- Your caterer may want to provide the wedding cake, but you could save a significant amount of money going with someone who actually specializes in Wedding Cakes.
- When shopping around have an idea of what you want your wedding cake to look like; smooth or ruffles; scrolling or plain jane; ribbon or fondant? It helps you stress a little less.
- Traditional or Adventurous? A traditional wedding cake is the white cake. Although more recently we’ve had Bride and Grooms choose anything from Mexican Chocolate to Carrot Cake. It’s a good idea to consult with a baker/decorator before ordering your cake to have the opportunity taste your dream cake! Click here to set up a consultation.
- Have the number of servings ready (if possible!) and decide whether you want a round or square cake overall.
- Take into consideration whether your wedding reception is indoor or out. In the sweet summertime flies love sweets, heat melts most icings, and the high humidity will also turn gumpaste flowers limp, chocolate curls will melt and fresh flowers will wilt in prolonged exposure to heat.
- Many bakeries give you the option to choose how you want your cake covered, however at That’s The Cake Bakery, we only use Buttercream frosting to cover your cake. Fondant covering is available upon request at an additional cost.
- Finally, have the location of your wedding (ie. Venue Name, Address, contact at the venue, and the time your reception is supposed to start.)
We do know that bride would like to buy their own topper for their wedding cake, and it’s best if you can have it on location so when the cake is delivered, it can be placed on the top.
- The biggest step in placing your wedding cake order is to set a reservation with your bakery (Click here to reserve) to begin the fun and tasty process!
- Once the time is set, get your book, photos, ideas, Pinterest, and creativity fluids pumpin’!
- Be prepared to leave at least a 50% deposit to insure that the bakery reserves the date for you.
- The taste and texture of the cake is the most important decision. The outside will be important for pictures and your personal statement but, the inside is what you will be serving to your guests. You want the cake to be flavorful, moist, and yummy to eat.
- Be prepared to pay for the cake decorator’s time. Simple cake designs are the least expensive. The more time and complicated the cake design the more you should be prepared to pay. Knowing ahead of the time on the design you’re wanting can help you prepare for the price overall.
- Have phone numbers available for the planners and/or coordinators on the day of the wedding to provide on the order guide.
- The delivery of your cake is not usually included in the cost of your wedding cake, most of the time bakeries will inform you on the price of the delivery and setup based upon the distance from the bakery and the day of the week. (Fridays are usually more expensive, due to Friday afternoon traffic.
- Cancellations. If for some reason you are to cancel your wedding cake, they love for you to call in advance, weeks if possible. A forfeiture of your deposit may be required depending on the days or weeks leading up to the wedding.
- Finally, the final payment for your wedding cake. Bakeries tend to have a mandatory date set for you to pay out your balance usually two weeks prior to your wedding cake delivery. Once you have the hardest part done, then you’re done! You have finished the process to placing the wedding cake of your dreams!
We hope you have found all this information valuable when you go to shop for your wedding cake! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us. God Bless you in the new beginning of your life! Be sure to follow us on our social media.
Keep Life Sweet,
That’s The Cake Bakery